Medical Office Management
Students who successfully complete this program can expect to obtain employment in health care institutions, hospitals, clinics, both large or small clinical offices and health care maintenance organizations or insurance companies, and, state and local community health and home health agencies in entry-level positions such as: Medical Receptionist, Medical Secretary, Billing Clerk, Billing Specialist, Patient Account Representative, Patient Services Representative, Hospital Admissions Clerk, Medical Records Clerk.
Upon completion of the program, the students will be able to:
- Utilize medical terminology and abbreviations common to medical correspondence, forms, and documents.
- Manage front office duties such as reception, bookkeeping, record managing and patient data collection.
- Utilize methods to maintain patient satisfaction in both front and back offices.
- Promote teamwork and efficiency through cross-training and know the roles of different positions in medical offices and clinics.
- Have in-depth knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Use appropriate oral and written communication skills with patients, physicians, and colleagues by utilizing professional psychology.
- Acquire vital signs and patient medical history.
- Possess proficient skills in running of computer operating system and office task managing software such as word processing, spreadsheets, and communication manager.
- Demonstrate knowledge in ICD-10 and CPT coding and ability to utilize appropriate manuals to search and confirm correct codes.
- Have in-depth knowledge of medical instruments and know proper disinfection and sterilization techniques for the instruments.
- Have in-depth knowledge of today’s health insurance and insurance claim transactions.
- Understand the legal and ethical standards and implications they have on today’s medical profession.
- Keep track of office supplies and order equipment as necessary.
|Courses/ Unit Titles||Hours|
|Introduction to Computers*||25|
|Anatomy and Physiology||50|
|Basic Medical Terminology||50|
|Medical Office Procedures||50|
|Clinical Office Procedures||50|
|Emergency Medical Procedures||50|
|Medical Law and Ethics||25|
|Medical Human Relations||50|
|Medical Office Transcription||50|
|Medical insurance, billing & coding||75|